The NYC Traveler in Maine:
Stroll, Hike, Run: Marginal Way, Ogunquit, Maine
Sunrise, Marginal Way, Ogunquit, ME, USA
We profiled the Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island in a previous article. Now, take another walk with us as we explore one of our favorite places to be when you travel to New England: Marginal Way, Ogunquit, Maine. Things to know:
1. The walk was donated by Josiah Chase in 1925 and now maintained by Marginal Way Committee and the Marginal Way Preservation Fund.
2. The footpath literally overlooks the Atlantic Ocean. Although it is not a strenuous walk, there are places just begging you to sit and enjoy nature. The view is always different because the weather is always changing. A well-kept secret is the fabulous waves for surfers and paddle boarders. You'll see athletes and boats as you sit and enjoy the view.
3. There are spots to climb down on the rocks or to take the stairs down to the water's edge. However, it can be dangerous in certain spots. Children should not venture onto the rock areas; those with walking concerns should remain on the paved path as should those in wheelchairs or strollers. In wet weather, climbing down on the rocks or down the stairs to the beach is not advised at all.
4. The path is about a mile and ¼ (a little over 2km). It begins and ends at your choice: Obeds Lane and Shore Road in Ogunquit or the artsy Perkins Cove area. It is a great run or walk in the morning for exercise. To return, you have your choice of doubling back, walking along Shore Road or to take the trolley back, for a small fee (seasonal). Beware: traffic along Shore Road is almost unbearable in the summer and walking will often be faster than the trolley.
5. As with all nature areas, there are signs asking you to leave nature as it is so that we can all come back and enjoy it again and again.
So, take time to relax your mind and take a stroll (or two, or three, year after year) on the Marginal Way, in beautiful Ogunquit Maine.
Related Articles and Videos:
I am an Amazon Associate. Shop our Store
Latest COVID-19 Travel News
Scroll to the very bottom and click the social media icons to share this article. Happy Travels!
Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 if the copyright act of 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
This review is my personal opinion. I have Booking links. I am an Amazon Associate.
Disclaimer: MC Enterprises is not giving exercise nor health advice. Hike at your own discretion. See a doctor if you are cautious about strenuous exercise. Make sure you know the weather forecast before you head out.